Ah, the holidays. Plenty of gift giving, tree decorating, going over the river to Grandma’s house. Normally I would give you gift ideas, so you know what to get other people. This year I’ve decided that with all that caroling, you’re going to be thirsty, so instead of gift ideas, check out these holiday cocktails. Some old, some new, but whatever you do – please ‘nog responsibly.
- The guys over at DrinkLab are pretty hilarious – check out Why Santa Has A Naughty List cocktail.
- Normally, I’d give you Brooklyn spots only, but since you’re likely to be traveling, check out this list of holiday libations you can find in bars around the country.
- George Dickel has become one of my go-to bottles, not only for taste, but because they’re budget-friendly, too. I can’t beat a bottle that makes a great drink, or can be sipped neat, for under $40. Check out my Mellow Mocha recipe using Dickel 12.
- If you’re not completely egg-nog-stic (see what I did there?), there are some delicious options. I like real cream – if you’re going to do it, do it right – and then adding my own booze. It can be as easy as just adding rum, or you can get fancy and mix rum, brandy and whiskey. That’s a little tougher to get the proportions right, so I like just adding El Dorado 8 year rum to taste. A bottle that’s around $25, it’s delicious with ginger beer, too!
- If you’re throwing a party (or just want a big bowl of deliciousness to drink), check out Beautiful Booze’s Christmas Eve Bourbon Punch. Pretty and tasty, you can’t go wrong with any of her punch and cocktail recipes.
Happy holidays! I hope Santa gets you something delicious to put in your glass!!
Article: Jeanne Runkle